Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Unified XAML Strategy - Clarification needed
posted

Hello,

it's 2 years since the announcement of the unified product strategy, and still two of the most common controls are different, XamRibbon and XamDockManager.

1)What is the status of the unification?

2)Are you going to publish a service release later this year that will give us the backstage on the ribbon?

3)Are we going to have a common theming engine? (the shared XAML controls don't have the Theme property)

4)Will XamDataGrid be ported to Silverlight, or it will become obsolete? (there is the XamGrid shared control)

5)What about VirtualCollection? Will the Grids support a Server Side Data Quering Mechanism?

Although i am a happy customer of Infragistics, i am a little confused regarding your product strategy on XAML, and it would be nice if you created some blog posts explaining the 2012 Roadmap and the future of XAML controls....

Regards,

Michael

Parents
    Offline posted

Hello Michael,

1. This is an ongoing and time consuming process. A lot of planning and resources go into creating a cross-platform control, even if it already exists on a different XAML platform.  When those controls were first wrtten, there were 2 separate teams, hence 2 different vrsions of the controls.  Some features in those controls are also written specifically for their respectic platform making it very difficult to just "port" over to the other platform.  Also take into consideration that we are also working on other new featres, bug fixes, and new controls such as the XamGantt and XamSyntaxEditor across both WPF and SL platforms.  It will take time to get to a unified XAML line-up, but we are slowing chipping away at it.
    2. The SL XamRibbon already has the backstage, but of course the WPF version does not.  This is not planned to be implemented for WPF in an SR.  This feature is on the backlog for the WPF ribbon, but as mentioned above, if we finish our planning for a cross platform ribbon it may become a non issue.
    3. Yes.  We are currently working on a complete theming overhaul which includes the addition of a cross-platform theming engine.
    4. No, the XamDataGrid is too complex and specific to WPF and cannot be ported to SL.  The XamGrid is our cross-platform data grid.  There are currently no plans to make the XamDataGrid obsolete.
    5. This is not something we have considered.  You should submit your feature request to support so that we can put it on the backlog.

As we wrap up our internal planning, I will be proviing information and guidance in the form of videos, webcasts, and blog posts.

If you have any questions please email me at blagunas@infragistics.com or follow me on twitter @BrianLagunas

Thanks,

Brian Lagunas
    Product Manager - XAML

Reply Children
No Data