Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Client side total field
posted

Hi.  I'm using the WebCurrencyEdit control to input several dollar amounts.  I want to include a total field on the screen that should be updated on the client side as the user changes any of the other values.  I've added an additional WebCurrencyEdit marked as read-only and initially load the total from the server.  I'm having trouble writting the Javascript to update the total as values are changed.

I'm trying a line in my javascript function such as:

document.form1.TotalAmount.value = parseFloat(document.form1.AmountA.value) + parseFloat(document.form1.AmountB.value);

Any help would be appreciated.

posted

You'll want to use functions from our client-side object model (CSOM) rather than looking at properties on our HTML elements.

I assume that TotalAmount, AmountA, and AmountB are the IDs of three WebCurrencyEdit objects on your page.  Below is the corresponding JavaScript to waht you'd originally written:

// Get a reference to all three WebCurrencyEdit controls
    var wceTotalAmt = igedit_getById("<% =TotalAmount.ClientID %>");
    var wceAmtA = igedit_getById("<% =AmountA.ClientID %>");
    var wceAmtB = igedit_getById("<% =AmountB.ClientID %>");

// Get the value of the two user-editable WebCurrencyEdit controls
    // I don't believe you need to use parseFloat here, but you'll want to verify
    var amtA = wceAmtA.getValue();
    var amtB = wceAmtB.getValue();

// Set the total to the TotalAmount editor
    wceTotAmt.setValue(amtA + amtB);