Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Tooltip Duration on Silverlight Controls
posted

I am displaying additional data related to data displayed in different types of charts via a tooltip.  Sometimes there is one line,, sometimes there are several lines.  I need the tooltip to stick around for a while, but the thing keeps disappearing.

I know that tooltip duration is a black eye with Silverlight 3 (why its in WPF and not Silverlight is a serious oversight on Microsofts part and a very frustrating one as well), however, the project at http://tooltipservice.codeplex.com/ poses a solution to remedy the problem.  While I can get this working fine with normal things like buttons, it doesn't work with the tooltips in the Infragistics controls.  I know that this is because it is not using the ToolTipService provided by the solution on codeplex.  Is there a conceivable way that it would be possible to have my charts use a custom ToolTipService or to get it so that I can set the Duration of a ToolTip through some other means?

In an effort to get this working I was successfully able to put a tooltip on an ellipse in the MarkerPointTemplate, however, I can't customize what goes in the ToolTip for each point because the DataContext is always null.

Thoughts?

Offline posted

springk said:
    Is there a conceivable way that it would be possible to have my charts use a custom ToolTipService or to get it so that I can set the Duration of a ToolTip through some other means?

i think it would work if you just disabled the chart's tooltips and handled the MouseOver events to display a Popup or use a custom ToolTipService.

springk said:
    I can't customize what goes in the ToolTip for each point because the DataContext is always null.

This is a limitation of the MarkerPointTemplate in the current version.