Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Exporting DV controls (server-side)
posted

Hello,

We are using Infragistics Silverlight DV controls to build dashboard style application which visualizes data. We would like to implement functionality which allows user to schedule the export of the dashboard consisting of multiple DV controls to PDF (or other format) and send it via email. That means export the UI to file on the server.

As far as I know this scenario is not supported, as you do not provide any persistence API for controls, neither the server side library for exporting them.

I see only two options, which are far from ideal:

• Use different (or our own) functionality to generate these documents on the server, using the same data we are using for generating Silverlight GUI. Problem of this approach is that it is almost impossible to imitate the exact look & feel and behavior of your controls. Getting some reasonable level of similarity would cost us quite a lot of development effort.
  • Run either Silverlight application (as Out of Browser?) or WPF application (in case SL xaml + code is reusable for WPF - is it?) on the server and capture loaded screen into picture or PDF using some virtual printer or external library. Doing this, as you will agree for sure, is not the cleanest way to solve the problem.

I would like to ask you, if not for solution, perhaps for some guidance, which direction would you recommend for us.

Thank you.

Parents
No Data
Reply Children
No Data