Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Frustration...
posted

I'm ready to give up with Infragistics.. and I 'm not even sure this is the correct forum to post this..

I start a BRAND NEW web project, drop a UltraTabControl on a page, go to compile and the following appears:

Error 1 The type 'Infragistics.WebUI.Shared.Style' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Infragistics35.WebUI.Shared.v8.3\8.3.20083.1009__7dd5c3163f2cd0cb\Infragistics35.WebUI.Shared.v8.3.dll' and 'c:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Infragistics2.WebUI.Shared.v8.3\8.3.20083.1009__7dd5c3163f2cd0cb\Infragistics2.WebUI.Shared.v8.3.dll' c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\keglog\e17dc8ad\1e2eb68f\App_Web_p9mw4byh.0.cs 180 

There is no references at all set to the Infragistics2 version.  There is ONE page, with ONE control, with the assembly of

Infragistics2.WebUI.UltraWebTab.v8.3, Version=8.3.20083.1009

set for it.  I've spent the better part of a whole day fighting this issue. It actually disappeared for a while, I closed the .NET IDE, reopened the project and presto, it's here again...

I don't have time to spend an entire day fighting thru these issues. It's hard enough to figure out how your tools work with the LIMITED documentation and poor examples you provide.

Can ANYONE help me figure out why this error keeps occuring...

Suggested Answer
    posted

mgnatowski,

The error states that Visual Studio believes there to be two references to our "Shared" assembly, one to "Infragistics35.WebUI.Shared.v8.3" and the other to "Infragistics2.WebUI.Shared.v8.3".

Places to check for these extra references include:

• The Register tags on the page.  (You've already checked this.)
    • The Register tags on any master pages or user controls in the project.  (It sounds like you don't have any; I mention here because it's a good thing to check.)
    • The web.config file - remove the unwanted assembly from here.  (Since you're using the CLR 2.0 WebTab, you'll want to keep the Infragistics2.WebUI.Shared reference, and delete the Infragistics35.WebUI.Shared reference if you find it here.)
    • The licenses.licx file.  You can clear the content of this file of any Infragistics references, because Visual Studio will add them back if and when it needs them.
    • The bin directory of your website.  If you have any strongly-named files here, make sure their strong names, including version, match all references above.  Delete any unneeded Infragistics files from this directory.

One additional thing to test, if the above fails to identify the errant reference, is to clear the Temporary ASP.NET Files directory.  As you run further applications, these files will be re-created as needed.  The error message itself points you to where this is located on your system:  c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\

Finally, if you still can't find the reference, you can submit a support request and attach your sample.  A Developer Support Engineer can investigate further using your sample, and may find something I didn't think to check.  If you do take this route, I recommend you also provide a link to this forum thread, so that we don't suggest courses of action you've already taken.

Please let us know whether or not this clears up the error.