Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Expanding Rows always happens on Browser-Side - Bad Performance
posted

Hello,

I have a WHDG set up with one additional band. The grid has to be completely expanded on page load, so the InitialExpandDepth is set to -1. This works, however, the performance is desastrous. With about 40 parent rows and about 3 childrows each, I have to wait several seconds until the grid finally shows up.

If I set InitialExpandDepth to 0, the grid appears immediately, and I found out that the expansion of the parent rows actually happens in the browser, even though the HTML that is sent to the browser could already be fully expanded - since I already chose to expand everything on server side. I also tried to set the expanded state in the OnDataBound-event (grid.GridView.Rows[0].Expanded = true), but same result.

Questions:

1. Is there any way to have the rows in the rendered HTML expanded from start?

2. If not, is there a workaround to speed up the expansion (maybe beginUpdate/endUpdate surrounding the expansion process? I don't know where to hook in there)?