Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
copy Infragistics dlls to Git repository
posted

Hello team,

I have a windows form application which was developed using Infragistics controls. We created a TFS project and saved my project in the Git repository. After compiling the project, one of my team mate did clone the repository and pulled the latest version of my code. when my team mate opened the project in his visual studio the Infragisitics references are not showing up and hence the project is not compiling on his machine though Infragistics is installed on his machine as well. 

Upon looking Git repository the Infragistics related dlls or references have not been copied to the packages folder of my project on my local machine and the dll's were referencing the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Infragistics\2017.1\Windows Forms\CLR4.0\Bin.

I thought may be the DLL's Copy Local setting to True will resolve it, but unfortunately no.

Do I need to physically copy all the referenced Dlls' to the pacakges folder? so that when i check-in my solution my team mate will be able to open the project from source repository using his visual studio and still be able to load the Infragistics Dll's?

Entity Framework and other kind of tools can be seen in the packages folder and also in my the source repository only the Infragistics related dll's are missing.

thanks in advance.

Offline posted

Hello Baba,

My team and I have done an initial review of this issue, and it sounds like your colleague has one of the following scenarios on their machine:

1. A different version of Infragistics controls installed: As it appears that you are referencing version 17.1, this would prevent Visual Studio from resolving the Infragistics assemblies that exist on the machine.

2. A different specific version of the Infragistics controls installed: This is only relevant if the “Specific Version” flag of the referenced Infragistics assemblies is set to “True.” If this flag is set, and you have different specific versions of 17.1 installed, Visual Studio will not be able to resolve the assemblies. For example, if you were to have version 17.1.20171.2032 installed, and your colleague had version 17.1.20171.2074 installed, if this Specific Version flag was true, the assemblies would not be able to resolve.

3. The assemblies are installed to a different place than the default: The path that you have provided: C:\Program Files (x86)\Infragistics\2017.1\Windows Forms\CLR4.0\Bin, is the default file path for the Infragistics assemblies, and so if your colleague has the same version installed at the same place, I would expect that this would be resolved by Visual Studio. I would recommend checking that the assemblies are indeed installed to the same place, though by checking if this directory contains the Infragistics assemblies.

You have mentioned a “packages” folder in this case, which I am a little unsure about. When you checked the project into your Git repository, were the Infragistics DLLs that you were targeting placed in this packages folder? If so, then you may need to copy the referenced dlls to the packages folder, as if they don’t exist there, they won’t be picked up by Visual Studio, as that is where the IDE will be looking for them. You can see where Visual Studio will be looking for the assemblies by opening the .csproj file for your project in a text file and looking for the references to the Infragistics assemblies.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns on this matter.