Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
How to determine which cell was clicked on if it is part of a merged group of cells
posted

Hi

In our MouseDown event we want to determine and store which cell was clicked on for processing later (after mouseup, double click etc.)

In normal circumstances it is straightforward - we just use Grid.DisplayLayout.UIElement.ElementFromPoint and use GetContext(typeof(UltraGridCell)) to get the associated cell object.

However if the Cell is merged with some of it's siblings by using the column.MergedCellStyle then the cell returned by GetContext is the first cell in the merged cells not the cell under the mouse point.

Initially I thought I could look at that cell's UIElement and work out which direction the cell that contains the clicked point is by comparing it's Rect and the mouse point. However this is not always possible because the first cell might not be visible if it is scrolled off of the top of the grid hence it doesn't have an associated UIElement.

I notice that a MergedCellUIElement is available in the UIElement hierarchy from the clicked point which contains a list of CellUIElements it spans (in a property called CellElements). If we could access this it would at least be a smaller subset to hittest with the mouse point. However this property is not public. Ah and a useful function called GetCellElemFromPoint is also private, which looking at the source code does exactly that.

The only solution I can see is to scan the UIElement of _every_ cell in the column the returned cell belongs to in order to find the one that contains the clicked point. However this only works for me because I know that I only enable MergedCellStyle on a column. If it was enabled on the whole grid (so they could be merged horizontally aswell) then I would have to search the entire grid to find the target cell, creating cell objects for all cells included in the search that haven't been displayed.

Is there a better way to do this?

(Really I would expect this to be easily available from the grid or griduielement - the fact the UIElement is a merged cell is an implementation detail that I shouldn't have to be concerned about in order to figure out which row/column/cell has been clicked on)

Thanks again

Martin

Parents Reply Children
No Data