Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
XML presentation / translation utility: UltraGrid or UltraTree?
posted

I'm new to Infragistics, but have discovered quickly how much it can do, wow! I've been working with UltraGrids so far and like them a lot. Then I found UltraTree and that looks impressive too. But some forum posts note that these two can interact as well. So I'm not sure which to use, or whether to use both. Or perhaps there is another solution...

My program consists of parsing various XML data into an UltraGrid that fit into several columns. Some of the XML data are several layers deep. The grid has one band for now but I bet it would need maybe 2-4 of them (hopefully not more!). The user organizes the data in the grid (using the column header grouping if desired- that is a big help), then selects various rows in the table using a checkbox column (or all of them). The user then runs another function to export the selected data into a different set of XML files and other output. Essentially, this is mostly XML translation program. But the presentation is key. It has to represent the initial XML data as best as possible with as little confusion as possible.

What do you suggest for a program like this? UltraGrid, UltraTree, both, other?

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Parents
    Verified Answer
    Offline posted

If you need OutlookGroupBy functionality (and it sounds like you do), then you should stick with the UltraWinGrid. The UltraWinTree does not support grouping. It also doesn't suppose filtering, summaries, printing, or exporting.

The tree is better if you need more flexibility. For example, if you have rows of data in the same list that have different data structures. Or if you are binding to a very deep structure, the tree is more efficient, in that it does not load the BindingManager until it needs to, whereas the grid loads them all up front.

For 2-4 bands, you are probably much better off with the grid, especially if you are already using it. :)

Reply Children
No Data