Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Wingrid Performance -- Datasets or Collection??
posted

Hi,
We work real time data, that is updated on many user screen's grid very frequently.
We are now in the early stages of the application, so for now we do not have any performance issue.

We are required to scale this application to be able to show about 10000 rows of data which gets modified in real time.

My question is, we can either have a DataSet/DataTable as the datasource or Collection of a custom object.
Is there any difference in performance in using any of these methods?. I personally prefer using the Collection, as it it much neater way of implementing.

Parents
No Data
    Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

DataSets definitely have some performance issues. For example, when the BindingManager attempts to retrieve the child rows for any particular parent row, the DataSet has to build the list of child rows by looping through all of the rows in the child table and determining which ones match the relationship.

In a collection, you typically have the child rows stored in a child collection, so this is generally much more efficient.

The DataSet is more powerful in that it builds the child lists dynamically and is easier to deal with in code. But you pay a price for that flexibility in terms of performance.

That's probably the biggest difference between the two.

Oh... and if you are binding a WinGrid to 10,000 rows, I advise you to check out the WinGrid Performance Guide and also this post: Wingrid Performance and DataSources - Infragistics Forums

Children
No Data