Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
UltraGridDocumentExporter Performance Concerns
posted

Hi,

I presume WinGrids and WebGrids are effectively the same thing? I'm using an UltraWinGrid as far as I understand.

I'm using an UltraGridDocumentExporter to export a grid to a report document. The grid can have any number of rows - anything from 10 to 10,000+. The columns are restricted so that they fit on a specified page size i.e. if there are 30 columns to be placed on an A4 page and only the first 10 fit. The first 10 will be exported - the rest hidden - and column 10 resized to cover the rest of the page.

I'm looking to understand the expected performance of the Export method of the UltraGridDocumentExporter. I've done a few timing's of the function on a laptop with a 1.8Ghz processor and 1.21Gb of RAM. The following timings were gathered (each test exported 8 columns. the times are approximate to the nearest second):

• 1 Row: 1 second
  • 10 Rows: 1 second
  • 100 Rows: 2 seconds
  • 1000 Rows: 12 seconds
  • 10,000 Rows: 86 seconds

For these tests I removed all of the UltraGridDocumentExporter event handlers I've implemented. I also noticed in another post that limiting the rows via the row limit property (can't remember which) has no affect. It's worth oting I've ensured the rows are limited in the source itself.

My main questions are really:

• Do these timings seem reasonable?
  • Are there any properties that would affect the performance e.g. LoadStyle for the Grid (this appears to have no affect for the exporting)?
  • Are there any other ways of improving the performance anyone has thought of?

The performance of the application I am currently building is a major requirement so I'm looking for any ways to improve this...1 to 100 rows are acceptable speeds, but 12 seconds for 1000 rows is a bit slow...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Richard