Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Using Win Grid to show hierarchical data
posted

Hello,

I need to show hierarchical data in WinGrid.  There is only one data set that contains parent and childs.  For example:

Name:  Banks

ID= 1

Parent= Null

Name : Bank 1

ID =2

Parent: 1

Name: Bank 2

ID: 3

Parent:1

Name: Bank 11

ID: 4

Parent: 2

As you can see the Bank 11 should come under Bank1 , and the bank 1 should be under Banks.  But in the WinGrid the Bank1 will be a totally separate group.

I use Outlook Group, and it groups them fine.  But I want the data to be like this:

Banks

Bank 1

Bank 11

Bank2

But in the WinGrid when I use outlook group by it is like:

Banks

Bank 1

Bank2

Bank 1

Bank11

Which is not trully hierarchical. Is there a way to do that?

Offline posted

The hierarchy in the grid is determined by the data source, so this really depends on what kind of DataSource you are using.

What you are describing here is a recursive data source - a table with a relationship back to itself. So you could achieve what you want using a DataSet with a single table and a RelationShip defined between the ID and the Parent column in the table.

Then all you would have to do is use the InitializeRow event of the grid to hide rows in the root band whose Parent is not null.