Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Datarow delete causes error
posted

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

The following error exists in ultrawingrid version 10.2 and 10.3.  It does not exist in version 8.3.

We are running into an error that has been hard to pinpoint, but the following source allows you to see a scenario where the error happens every time.  First, in the ultrawingrid InitializeLayout event we set the ExpansionIndicator and LoadStyle.

Notice in the btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash click event a parent record is activated and then a child row is deleted.  The button click event generates the following error when _p1c1.Delete() executes.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The  btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing click event does the exact same thing without activating a row.  Execution is completed without error.

If you comment out one or both of the properties set in the InitializeLayout event the error does not occur. 

The row activation does not need to be in the button click event.  The error will also occur if it is in the form load or somewhere else. 

Please help?

Public Class Form1

Private _dataset As New DataSet

Private _childTable As New DataTable("ChildTable")

Private _parentTable As New DataTable("ParentTable")

Private _p1c1 As DataRow

Private WithEvents ugBasicGrid As New Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.UltraGrid

Private WithEvents btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash As New Button

Private WithEvents btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing As New Button

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load

Me.ClientSize = New System.Drawing.Size(662, 404)

Me.ugBasicGrid.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 12)

Me.ugBasicGrid.Name = "ugBasicGrid"

Me.ugBasicGrid.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(619, 315)

Me.Controls.Add(Me.ugBasicGrid)

InitializeDataSet()

ugBasicGrid.DataSource = _parentTable

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash.Text = "Remove Child Record (and crash)"

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(12, 344)

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(184, 23)

Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash)

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing.Text = "Remove Child Record (no problem)"

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing.Location = New System.Drawing.Point(200, 344)

Me.btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing.Size = New System.Drawing.Size(184, 23)

Me.Controls.Add(Me.btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing)

End Sub

Private Sub InitializeDataSet()

_dataset.Tables.Add(_parentTable)

_parentTable.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ParentID", GetType(Integer)))

_parentTable.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ParentDescription", GetType(String)))

_parentTable.Rows.Add("1", "parent one")

_parentTable.Rows.Add("2", "parent two")

_childTable.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ParentID", GetType(Integer)))

_childTable.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ChildID", GetType(String)))

_childTable.Columns.Add(New DataColumn("ChildDescription", GetType(String)))

_p1c1 = _childTable.Rows.Add("1", "p1c1", "parent one child one")

_dataset.Tables.Add(_childTable)

_dataset.Relations.Add("Relation", _dataset.Tables("ParentTable").Columns("ParentID"), _dataset.Tables("ChildTable").Columns("ParentID"), False)

End Sub

Private Sub btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRemoveChildRecordAndCrash.Click

If _p1c1 Is Nothing Then

MsgBox("please restart the program before clicking any more buttons.")

Return

End If

ugBasicGrid.Rows(1).Activate()

_p1c1.Delete()

_p1c1 = Nothing

_childTable.AcceptChanges()

MsgBox("Child row removed.")

End Sub

Private Sub btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnRemoveChildRecordWithoutCrashing.Click

If _p1c1 Is Nothing Then

MsgBox("please restart the program before clicking any more buttons.")

Return

End If

'ugBasicGrid.Rows(1).Activate()

_p1c1.Delete()

_p1c1 = Nothing

_childTable.AcceptChanges()

MsgBox("Child row removed.")

End Sub

Private Sub ugBasicGrid_InitializeLayout(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.InitializeLayoutEventArgs) Handles ugBasicGrid.InitializeLayout

ugBasicGrid.DisplayLayout.Bands(0).Override.ExpansionIndicator = Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.ShowExpansionIndicator.CheckOnDisplay

ugBasicGrid.DisplayLayout.LoadStyle = Infragistics.Win.UltraWinGrid.LoadStyle.LoadOnDemand

End Sub

End Class