Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
WinGrid / DropDownEditors has performance issues...
posted

Hi, 

We are experiencing performance issues related to the uses of UltraDropDownEditor set as a EditorComponent in a WinGrid.  First i would like to mention that i've readed the WinGrid performance guide and specificaly the ValueLists section.  This guide specify to make sure that the wingrid column data type is the same as the valuelist values, this seems to be the case.

Something seems to be going on with the text you type in a cell that is bound to dropdowneditor.  If we create a dropdown with a value member typed as a string and a display typed as a string and we bound it to a column (which is string as well) everything works fine. 

But when we do the same test with a editor which has a value member typed as a int (for example) , a display member typed string (so we see strings in our cells) bound as the editor of a column (which is typed as int (just like the editor value member) and we type alpha characters in the cell it get's slower.  Somethign we also notcied is that if we type numeric characters it's as fast as the 'string exemple' as long as it stays below around 12 characters of lenght (we suspect him to 'detect' that it can no longer be a int and do his checks on a string instead.

Also please take note that if i take the 'int dropdowneditor' directly (not embedded but on the form), i can type alhpa characters at very good performance, so it seems related to some checks that the grid makes...  Specificaly related to the cell datatype.

Note i have attached a sample projects to this post named as 'WindowsFormsApplication4',  you can see that the first column performance are great and the other one is slower.  This doesn't seems as bad in this sample, not sure why, but in our project with complex form and alot of binding the performance issue scale is far worst (our worst case is a grid with a 3 second delay for every characters typed) also if the typed character fit's with a element in the list, performance are very good, the problem arise when you mistype something that ain't in the list...

Hope you'll have all the info required to help me there!

WindowsFormsApplication4.zip