Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Customizing Tab Headers with XamTabControl
posted

I would like to (a) wrap the text in a tab header i.e. "this is a long tab header" would be displayed as something like:

this is a long

tab header

(b) "escape" an ampersand in a tab header i.e. "this & this is causing me a problem"

(c) change the shape of a tab header to something like a rectangle on it's side with a triangle at the RHS whose point faces rightwards (this is to replicate a wire frame that your colleague Tobias produced for us a few weeks back). I have seen plenty of samples that effect rounded corners for tab headers but we would like to go beyond this.

Thanks

John French

Suggested Answer
    Offline posted

JohnFrench said:
    I would like to (a) wrap the text in a tab header

If you want wrapping you would probably need to set a MaxWidth on the TabItem and provide a DataTemplate that would use a TextBlock with wrapping enabled. e.g.

<TabItem Header="This is a long block of text to show wrapping" 
             MaxWidth="50">
        <TabItem.HeaderTemplate>
            <DataTemplate>
                <TextBlock TextWrapping="Wrap" Text="{Binding}" />
            </DataTemplate>
        </TabItem.HeaderTemplate>

JohnFrench said:
    (b) "escape" an ampersand in a tab header

In xaml you would have to use the standard xml escapements for special characters. & would be &amp; - e.g. "this &amp; this is causing me a problem"

JohnFrench said:
    (c) change the shape of a tab header to something like a rectangle

You would need to create a custom ControlTemplate for the TabItem(Ex). I do not have any examples of any such templates but you can use the default templates we ship with the product - located in the DefaultStyles directory - as a starting point.