Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Cascading modal dialogs possible?
posted

I am developing a WPF application and trying to use XamDialogWindow controls for some modal configuration dialogs. My use case is such that it would be useful for a modal dialog window to launch another modal dialog window (it helps keep the currently accessible interface less cluttered/more focused). We are using Prism and all of our dialogs are confined to a specific region, and all dialog windows exist as singletons that start hidden. When dialogs are not modal, everything works as expected: sub dialogs are launched and the windows coexist happily. However, when the primary and secondary config windows are both launched as modal windows, it generates a StackOverflowException when Show() is called on the second window. I tried this with a bare-bones application and had the same issue.

Ok, I guess this is a valid limitation, so I try a workaround: I set the first window's IsModal value to false prior to calling Show() on the second window. Second window appears (awesome) but the first window disappears (oops). What's more, I can't seem to make the first window reappear while its IsModal property is set to false.

So my questions are as follows:

• Is it possible to have multiple modal dialogs in the same region visible at the same time (with some kind of z-ordering to determine which is active)? I imagine this working similar to Windows network adapter configuration, where as you drill down into the menus the new dialogs prevent access to higher level dialogs.
  • Is it possible for a XamDialogWindow that has had its IsModal property set to "true" to be used as a visible non-modal window by setting its IsModal property to "false"? It seems there is some irreversible change that is made to the control object that prevents it from being used in a non-modal capacity once it has been set as modal.

If either is possible, that would be sufficient to solve my problem.

Thanks in advance!

Parents
No Data
Reply Children
No Data