Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Infragistics controls frustratingly slow & heavy
posted

The only explanation i can come up with is that it's more profitable to cheaply hack together new controls and start selling them than to take the time to do things properly. I have worked with infragistics for years, i have been to your training, i have used and skinned almost all of your controls and im just plain frustrated with it all. 

My frustrations boil down to three things:

1. Web pages loaded with lots of infragistics controls get bogged down and slow because of the weight. One here and there seems to be fine but the rule of thumb seems to be 'use as sparingly as possible' which isnt the way it should be.

2. Infragistics controls crashing my Visual Studio IDE, or controls losing state, overwriting or losing its settings when maniulated with the wizards and custom property windows. And just being generally buggy and behaving weirdly.

3. Controls being notoriously difficult to style, and by style i dont mean just changing some font colors and basic stuff. In my opinion controls at this enterprise level should be able to skinned more easily adjust to custom designs.

To get a very basic idea of the bloat issue take a grid control, bind it with a basic data on an otherwise blank page and view the resulting page source and you'll see what i mean, check out the page weight / file size from html and in fact do it with any controls. There's so much convoluded, unneeded and downright dirty code its dissapointing. Things like tables repeatedly nested inside each cell. I realise that there are scenarios where this is the only option but why not remove the overheads when those features aren't being used?

Maybe with the increase in consumer internet bandwidth its been taken as free reign to not optimise and streamline. Maybe i get the worst end of the problems because i work with UI design and skinning controls.

Parents
No Data
    posted

Jeff said:

The only explanation i can come up with is that it's more profitable to cheaply hack together new controls and start selling them than to take the time to do things properly.

Straight-talk Jeff who treasures purity and truth, I can tell that I would like you if I met you.

By the way, have you *EVER* tried to use Infragistics HTML help system?

What about looking through the sample code?  Hahahahah, man what a joke, it doesn't even compile.  It's from some version way back like 6.1 or something.

Oh, and then they have the *AUDACITY* to send a half dozen emails proclaiming the best way to learn using Infragistics is by attending some seminar where they will show you for a *FEE*.

To be honest, if I didn't inherit the need to use this library due to being hired after the project I'm supporting was originally made, I'd have used Syncfusion, or.... or... I would have made a strong strong case for writing the components deemed as necessary for the "pretty" factor.

Perry

Children