Your Privacy Matters: We use our own and third-party cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to use the website we understand that you accept their use. Cookie Policy
Line vs ScatterLine data plotting
posted

Hi,

I want to know the difference between Line Vs ScatterLine series.

In addition to that I have a doubt around data plotting.

For ScatterLine and Scatter series we need to specify X and Y Values,

but for Line Just ValueMember path. Why is this inconsistency ??

Also what to specify in ValueMemberPath() : X or Y value ??

How data is plotted for LINE series with just one co-ordinate (X / Y) ??

(NOTE: I have gone through this http://ko.infragistics.com/community/forums/p/65712/332600.aspx#332600 BUT COULD NOT UNDERSTAND.)

Any explanation to above queries would be appreciated.

Parents
    Verified Answer
    posted

Hi, sanjaysutar

The main difference b/n Line and ScatterLine series is that Line is a category type series while ScatterLine is a scatter type series. Category type series use category X-axis and numeric Y-axis while scatter type series use two numeric axes.

With category type series the data member that defines the “category” of each data record is bound to the category axis. That is accomplished with the Label() method of the Axis object. That is why you only need ValueMember() to specify the value for each category. All categories are placed at equal distance along the category axis and this has no relation to the category member data value (it can even be a string or a date). The values of each category are depicted in correct scale and provide a way to compare visually data for each category. For example, with category series you can show sales for January, February, etc., having month on the category axis and sales amount on the numeric axis.

With scatter series you display points on their exact coordinates and that is why you have two numeric axes. Each of the two coordinates – X and Y – is mapped to the corresponding numeric axis. This series type is suitable for depicting mathematical functions, or physical values (for example, measurements of some physical parameter).

Cheers, Lazar

Reply Children